About this Course
Prepare to study at university, explore the qualities of a successful student, and learn key vocabulary in an academic context.
Increase your knowledge of English for academic study
If you are preparing to study at a university where the first language is English, this course aims to help you understand what is expected, develop skills to help you learn independently, and build your confidence.
You will have the opportunity to review the key vocabulary and concepts used in a university setting, and discover what tutors expect from students. You will also have the opportunity to practise skills to help you expand your vocabulary for an academic setting, including tools to help you pronounce new words.
What topics will you cover?
- Key vocabulary and concepts for the UK university context
- Exploring the approach to teaching and learning in UK universities
- Developing dictionary skills
- Analysing word forms and word families
- Accessing and writing definitions
- Introduction to the phonemic chart and how to use it to support learning and pronunciation skills
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
- 18 Jan 2021
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Interpret key academic terminology and explore its importance and relevance to successful UK university study.
- Identify key features and conventions of academic culture in the UK, both online and on campus.
- Apply the use of a dictionary to help you extend your academic vocabulary range.
- Record new words effectively.
- Identify the form of definitions, and produce your own.
- Produce the phonemic chart to help you pronounce new words.
Who is the course for?
This course is for any student who is planning to study at a university where English is the main language. It’s primarily for students whose first language is not English but will also be useful for students who are coming into higher education after a long period away from studying, or who are mature students looking for an opportunity to refresh their study skills. It will help to prepare students for both study on an online degree and at a university campus.
English for Academic Study is the first course on the Pre-sessional English Online Award delivered by Coventry University, which helps students improve their English language and academic skills for university study. The Award is aimed at students who are 0.5 IELTS below university entry requirements.
FutureLearn is a British digital education platform founded in December 2012. The company is jointly owned by The Open University and SEEK Ltd. It is a Massive Open Online Course learning platform, and as of June 2020 included 175 UK and international partners, including non-university partners.
Coventry secured gold in the UK Government’s 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is University of the Year for Student Experience in The Times & The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
Teaching international learners for over 15 years, helping hundreds of students progress to university study in the UK. Passionate online learning advocate bringing the classroom to your browser.
I have taught English as a Foreign Language for more than thirty years in Egypt, Japan and at universities in the UK. I am now Director of Pre-sessional English Courses at Coventry University.
A Course Leader on Pre-sessional English programmes at Coventry University. He has a Masters in Online and Distance Education and over 12 years of experience in online education.